Friday 11 March 2011

Carnival!


Krapfen are THE Carnival food in Austria! And when I was a kid you could find them ONLY in the carnival period. Nowaydays you can buy them all year round, just like in Italy, where they are called "bomboloni". The traditional filling is apricot jam, but my Italian guests requested also a batch of cream and a batch of Nutella filled ones.





Another request were "salty" bomboloni, which is simply Krapfen filled with cheese and ham! First I was very sceptical, but after the first bite I fully approved! They're fantastic!




These are typical ITALIAN carnival balls - called "castagnole". I tried the "traditional" recipe (by now there also exist some fancy forms), which is basically cake dough formed in balls, fried, and covered with sugar and liquor.

In this pic you can also see another fried dough, which I personally didn't like that much. It's kind of fried pasta dough covered with powedered sugar. The recipe I had was simply not good.
Now carnival is over and we should cut down on sweets and heavy food in lent... we'll see if I manage!

No comments:

Post a Comment