Wednesday 16 February 2011

Christmas Baking Kick Off

I kicked off the 2 week baking session with Burgenlaender. I tried them only once when I was a child and my sister baked them. They can also be found at Birthday celebrations and weddings in Austria. I made them for the first time in my life and they turned out great. Burgenlaender are made of cold yeast pastry with a meringue filling and chopped nuts.

Burgenlaender
I had to use up some cream, so I decided to make Florentines. Unfortunately they didn't turn out as I expected. - hmmm I expected them to be as Tim's... he's baking the World's Best Florentines!!! Definitely gonna ask him for the recipe. These stayed too soft, while the taste was ok, but nothing special.

Florentines
On the 5th January, the eve of St.Nicholas Day, "Krampus" (kind of a devil) comes to each child accompanying St. Nicholas (Nikolaus). If the kid was good during the year, it gets sweets, nuts, and apples (nowadays also small presents) from Nikolaus. If the kid was bad, it used to get coil from Krampus and beatern up. Nowadays, nobody gets beaten up anymore...instead you eat sweet Krampus!

Krampus - best with Punch tongue (not shown)


No comments:

Post a Comment