Thursday 17 February 2011

Gingerbread My Love

Yes, I must admit it. I'm a gingerbread addict. In any kind, form, shape, whatever - Gingerbread rulez!

I adore storebought gingerbread as chocolate covered pretzels or jam filles hearts or sugar iced buttons. Not to forget the large bag of differently coloured buttons with different sugar sprinkles on them. 

Of course I do have also the best recipe for the best homemade gingerbread, which absolutely cannot be missed in December. Why is ist the BEST? Because normally homemade gingerbread gets really dry and hard (you almost break a tooth), but this one (Mum's recipe) comes out of the oven with the right soft consistency and stays like that the whole time (of course if the jar is closed tightly). So, what's the secret? Psssst...I'll tell you: It's YELLOW sugar. I had to import it, as no one knows it here, not even the experts. It's unrefined, still moist beet sugar. IT DOESN'T WORK WITH CANE SUGAR.

I made 2 types of gingerbread last Christmas:
regular (cut out shapes with cookie cutters and traditional shape) and filled

Normally I also make a gingerbread parfait after Christmas with the leftovers, but this year there weren't any!

Don't forget - gingerbread (well, only the homemade version I'd say) is also the healthiest cookie/sweet ever! Look at those super ingredients:

560 g rye meal
360 g yellow sugar
250 g runny honey
3-4 eggs (depending on size)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 packet gingerbread spices

Recipe
Mix togehter all the ingredients


Roll out immediately - not too thin (about half a centimetre)


Fill with a mixture of chopped nuts, dried fruit, chocolate and jam or cut out anything you like (brush everything with egg before baking). Decorate with icing, liquid chocolate, .... be creative!

Bake and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment